Oslo QA Hackathon 2008
Live Hackathon Notice Board
To help us all get organised, keep us up to date on where you are now, when you are leaving, and where you'll be later, so we can find each other a little easier.
About the Hackathon
Oslo Perl Mongers are arranging a QA hackathon in cooperation with several sponsors, including Linpro and the Norwegian National Innovation Center for Open Source who are arranging the "Go Open" conference about the use of free software in the public sector/government.
The hackathon event will be on Saturday April 5th to Monday April 7th 2008.
Purpose and Goals
The purpose of a QA hackathon would be to Quality Assurance-related problems that are easier to solve when everyone is gathered in the same physical location. This can include issues with packaging, testing modules, community support or with tools. To achieve this we'll attempt to fund travel & lodging for a core group of QA people, and try our best to make this workshop as fun, useful, relevant and productive as possible.
- Find 10-14 people that would like to meet up and solve one, two or more QA-related hard problems that can be realistically solved in one weekend.
- Fund the trip and the stay for ALL the invited participants. (We aim high. Expect us to fail :)
- Make sure the workshop is open for anyone interested to join.
- Allow the participants to experience a few of the cool things about winter in Norway. (Well, April is usually not that snowy, so we'll see. :)
It's likely that the workshop will be required to have a measurable goal of some sort. I have no idea what that should be - Measurable goal suggestions are appreciated.
Is this a CPAN/Perl-only event? Preferably not. We'd love to see people from the Java, C, C#, PHP, Python and Ruby communities. Perhaps this is a good place to push TAP and related tools? Another group of people we'd love to invite are the guys responsible for packaging Perl in the different distributions and OSes (Debian, Fedora, *BSD, Solaris, MacOS X?) Do you know of anyone who would be interested in coming? Tell them about this!
The status of this project, as of 2008-03-26 is:
- The workshop will be held on April 5th to 7th 2008, at Linpro's offices in Oslo, Norway.
- We currently have funding for: 7
- Commitments: 18
- ...provided there's funding: 0
- ...without provisions: 3
- ...with own sponsor: 7
- ...with assigned sponsor: 7
- ...with part sponsorship: 1
There are also some other happenings going on in the days before and after the hackathon.
"Go Open" conference
The "Go Open" conference will be held in Oslo on April 8th and 9th 2008. We'll have a limited amount of free access passes to give away at the hackathon.
- The "Go Open" conference will be a two-day, four-track event about the use of Open Source and Free Software in the public sector. The four tracks will be "OpenOffice.org", "Strategy/Free Software in Business", "Free Software in the Public Sector" and a Technical track.
- The conference organizers have ambition to make this a very large cross-discipline event, aimed at both the managerial and the technical crowd (!).
- Invitees who are sponsored by the conference are expected to give a talk.
- Invitees to the hackathon will probably get free access to the conference. (Need second confirmation for this.)
"Ruby Fools" conference
- The second half of the "Ruby Fools" conference will be held in Oslo on April 3rd and 4th 2008.
IEEE Testing Conference in Lillehammer
- The First International Conference on Software Testing, Verification and Validation is happening in Lillehammer April 9th - 11th. This is an IEEE conference and it would be nice if Perl was present and had a say.
- The cost of the conference is prohibitive ($1000) but I intend to crash the conference and bluster my way in. Having a good chunk of Perl's QA brains arriving en-masse will help. Anyone with me? The more who commit to attend the better chance I will have of convincing them to let us in. -- Schwern
Conference Format, Schedule and Topics
The format will be
- Oslo QA Hackathon 2008 : Topics -- what people are interested in working on
- Oslo QA Hackathon 2008 : Schedule -- what's happening when and where
- Oslo QA Hackathon 2008 : Communication -- how to participate or observe via IRC, email, twitter or whatever
Linpro has been gracious enough to
To find the venue, please consult these webpages:
There's a map of all Hackathon venues here: Oslo QA Hackathon 2008 : Locations
- Add yourself to the Oslo QA Hackathon 2008 : Attendees page
- Review the Oslo QA Hackathon 2008 : Topics page and add a topic or indicate what you'd like work on
- If you're arriving by plane, add yourself to the Oslo QA Hackathon 2008 : Travel page.
- Please update the Oslo QA Hackathon 2008 : Food page with your food requirements
That's it! :)
Travel and Hotel
See the Oslo QA Hackathon 2008 : Travel page for travel and accommodation suggestions.
Where will we find funding? The "Go Open" conference organizers have a decent budget for 2007 and 2008 that they have for activities like this. We're primarily aiming for a part of that. In addition, the NUUG Foundation
I think there's reason to be optimistic. :)
And to continue on this thread (reasons to be optimistic), these are our current sponsors:
- , 1 person, Nadim Khemir
Finding new sponsors
Although the list above is nice, we can't do as much as we'd like with it. If you know of someone who'd be willing to sponsor one or two people, PLEASE GET IN TOUCH. If your employer is willing to fly you to Oslo, that counts as sponsorship too - so do tell me about it. :)
Contact info for questions and feedback
Salve J. Nilsen
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- phone: (+47) 906 09 835
- irc: sjn @ irc.perl.org (and other networks.) I'll hang out in #perl-qa on irc.perl.org, feel free to bug me there. :)
If you have something to add, please go ahead.
On behalf of Oslo Perl Mongers (& al.)
- Salve J. Nilsen (Primus Motor)