Oslo QA Hackathon 2008 : Potential Attendees

From Perl QA
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Whom to invite

Who should be invited? You tell us. Check the "Potential Attendees" list below for some existing ideas, and if yoou know of anyone else who might be worth inviting, PLEASE COME WITH SUGGESTIONS.

We need at least 6-8 people in order to make a useful "core" of the hackathon, and every commitment to come (even if it's an "if you pay for the trip, I'll be there" statement of intent), can be used for the fund-raising.

Also, remember that the goal is to make this hackathon as fun, useful, productive and relevant as possible! :)

Your role in this

Is this something for you? If so PLEASE TELL. We're in a chicken-and-egg situation here, so any support will help. Especially if you can give some kind of intention/promise like Adam Kennedy, Andy Armstrong, Ricardo Signes, Michael Schwern, Michael Peters, Jeremiah Foster and Adrian Howard did, and if you can tell us what you could give a talk about. This is what we need:

  • Who to invite: The name and email address of of the person you'd like invited.
  • From who: The name of the person proposing the invitation.
  • Why that person: A few words about what the suggested person does, in order to establish relevance.
  • Talk topics: A list of one or more free software-related talks that this person is willing to give. The most likely audince is non-Perl, and/or non-technical.
  • URL with more info: Links to CPAN pages or anything else relevant.
  • The response: ...including if there's a commitment, wether or not funds are needed, and if the idea is good or bad.
  • Further comments: ...like topic/format suggestions, problems, ideas and other kinds of info that can make this easier to arrange.


Potential people to invite/attendees

The purpose of this list is to establish who we'd love to see in the same room, what they do/have done, how they can help with the workshop and the conference, and wether or not they have said they'd come. "Not contacted" means "Not contacted yet by Salve." :-P

Oh, and the list below is NOT a priority list. ;-)

(It couldn't possibly be one, I wouldn't be at the top of the list! :^) -JF )

Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah@jeremiahfoster.com> (Committed, will come)

 I would love to participate.
 
 I can talk about the debian-cpan interface and where we are going with packaging perl in debian. 
 Debian is has the most packages of any linux distro, more than 18,000. It also has lots of perl, 
 both in the form of modules and in the form of tools to do system administration. Debian is 
 commited, and has been for years, to a robust platform with a tightly integrated, up-to-date perl.

Peter Makholm <peter@makholm.net> (Committed, sponsored by employer)

 I'll definitely come if it doesn't overlap with our local open source
 conference in Copenhagen. It is usually in the beginning on March but
 it looks like it is delayed next year.
 
 Depending on the other Debian packagers I would be able to talk about
 packageing perl modules for Debian. But others (Jeremiah Foster) would
 probably be better to talk about the workings of the Debian Perl Group
 as a group.
 
 I have yet to figure out if I can get some funding from $work or other
 sources, but getting to Oslo on my own shouldn't be a show stopper.
 I have been postponing it until UKUUG had a program for their spring
 conference. Unfortunately still not there yet, but I will come to
 Oslo.
 
 So you can put me in the comitted column.
 
 //Makholm

Thomas Klausner <domm@cpan.org> (Committed, sponsored by Vienna.pm)

  • First suggested by Andy Armstrong
  • CPANTS / Vienna.pm
  • Emailed. Positive. Will come!
 [...] I'm intrigued :-)
 
 For one thing, I'd love to come and talk about CPANTS (and I'd love even
 more to have some dedicated time to hack on CPANTS :-). The only thing
 that keeps me from a completet commitment is the fact that I'd have to
 fly to Oslo. And I don't like flying (for ecologic reasons...).

Just bought my plane tickets (and now I'm looking for one of those we-plant-trees-for-your-co2-thingies...)

H. Merijn 'Tux' Brand <h.m.brand@xs4all.nl> (Committed and sponsored)

  • Designed and created the bleadperl smoke process, which is currently maintained by Abe
  • Configure-pumpking: maintains Configure for perl-devel and perl-maint
  • maintains the defined-or patch for perl-maint, which the FreeBSD Perl packaging guy includes for perl on FreeBSD
  • Can give free software-related talks about (provided I can attend):
    • The perl smoke process
    • The perl configuration
    • Converting SCCS to git :p
  • http://cpansearch.perl.org/~hmbrand/
  • http://mirrors.develooper.com/hpux/
  • Emailed and chatted on IRC. Positive feedback. Sponsored by Procura BV.


Curtis 'Ovid' Poe <curtis_ovid_poe@yahoo.com> (Committed and sponsored)

  • First suggested by Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni
  • Test Anything Protocol Developer
  • http://search.cpan.org/~ovid/
  • Committed, will come. Sponsored by BBC.


Adam Kennedy <cpan@ali.as> (Committed and sponsored)

  • First suggested by Ricardo Signes
  • Practical Image Testing Architecture developer, Perl toolchain hacker. The guy with the most modules on CPAN. Works also on improving the state of Perl on Windows with <http://strawberryperl.com/>.
  • Can give free software-related talks about:
    • PPI (implementing a provably impossible parser)
    • PITA (virtualised testing)
    • Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong (reasons concepts/designs fail) Maybe the best talk for this conference. Video at <http://lca2007.linux.org.au/talk/122.html>
    • Toolchainy stuff
    • Efficiently running many many projects
  • http://search.cpan.org/~adamk/
  • Chatted on IRC. Sponsored by friprog.no


Andy Armstrong <andy@hexten.net> (Committed and sponsored)

  • First suggested by Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni
  • Test Anything Protocol and Perl toolchain hacker <http://testanything.org/>
  • http://search.cpan.org/~andya/
  • Can give free software-related talks about:
    • Test::Harness
    • Building ad-hoc testing infrastructure
    • Test Anything Protocol
  • Emailed. Has given positive feedback. Sponsored by [1]
 I've changed my entry to "confirmed" :)
 
 I'm really looking forward to it.


Michael Schwern <schwern@pobox.com> (Committed and sponsored)

  • First suggested by Adam Kennedy
  • Perl "toolchain" developer and more.
  • Can give free software-related talks about:
    • [TAP]
    • ExtUtils::MakeMaker
    • META.yml
    • Perl QA and Testing
    • Introductory human design principles
  • http://search.cpan.org/~mschwern/
  • Emailed. Got positive feedback. Sponsored by friprog.no
 I can think of ongoing issues we can hammer out:
 
   Furthering Module::Build
   Simplifying CPAN module installation
   Module metadata issues
   Radical departures from the current system
 
 As for talking with the toolchain developers from other projects, that would
 be great.  Perl has always had trouble coordinating its releases and modules
 with other projects, there doesn't seem to be a lot of cross-communication and
 we do things differently than everyone else.
 
 In particular, I have an idea to make life easier for packagers of Perl
 modules by developing an autoconf adapter for installing Perl modules so
 packagers don't have to write so much special case code.
 If you can get me there, I'll come.
 --Schwern 20:32, 27 November 2007 (UTC)


Ricardo Signes <rjbs@cpan.org> (Committed and sponsored)

  • First suggested by Ricardo Signes
  • Module::Starter, CPAN::Mini developer
  • Occasional Test:: author
  • Can give free software-related talks about:
    • CPAN::Mini, especially regarding creating custom or private CPAN-like sites
    • ...and the reuse of CPAN tools for an internal (proprietary) code base
  • http://search.cpan.org/~rjbs/
  • Emailed. Has committed, Sponsored by ABC Startsiden
 I think that is a laudable goal.  I think it would be excellent to get some
 people together to work on improving (a) TAP and (b) the existing tools for
 mucking about with it.
 
 Improving the install toolchain's expected behavior woulud be great all around
 (and would suggest asking Ken Williams if he's interested).  More heavily
 trusting META.yml for things like "bug tracker" would be great.  (Is Graham
 available for search.cpan.org improvements?  What about Brian Cassady for his
 search.cpan replacement that he's working on?)
 
 I'd love to talk more about re-use of the CPAN tools for internal
 organizations.  That is, I want a cpan-like repository of code, against which
 I can run cpants, CPANPLUS, a search.cpan-like interface for docs and bugs,
 and so on.  We (Pobox) are looking to explore this further, soon.
 
 I'd love to get more TAP use in other languages, even if only as "make
 existing tools capable of emitting this" or "write translator pipes."  My
 own PyTAP is  miserable, but has been useful.
  • Hotel: Best Western Anker Hotel
  • Travel / In Oslo:
    • Depart Newark, Apr 3, Continental 38
    • Arrive Oslo, Apr 4, 9:35
    • Depart Oslo, Apr 8, 11:24, Continental 39


Adrian Howard <adrianh@quietstars.com> (Committed and sponsored)

  • First suggested by Curtis "Ovid" Poe
  • Author of Test::Class, Agile fanatic. User experience zealot. Testing bigot. CPAN Author. Guilt tripped into being a TPF Grant Manager. Adrian still hopes that Lisp and Smalltalk will take over the world, but in the mean time gets paid for playing with Perl and Ruby amongst other things. Location: Dorset, UK.
  • Can give free software-related talks about:
    • Test::Class and xUnit style testing (surprise!)
    • Test Driven Development
    • Why 100% test coverage isn't the point
    • Agile development
    • Integrating usability into agile teams
    • more five minute lighting rants than you can shake a stick at...
  • http://search.cpan.org/~adie/
  • Emailed. Positive responese. Has committed, and sponsored by Linpro
  • In Oslo 4-8 April
  • Hotel: Best Western Anker Hotel (provisional)
 If you can get me there, more than happy to come.


Michael Peters <mpeters@plusthree.com> (Committed and sponsored)

 Will definitely come to Oslo if funding is provided.


brian d foy <brian.d.foy@gmail.com> (Committed, fully sponsored)

  • See my longer explanation of my goals on use.perl
  • Automated release testing with Module::Release
  • MyCPAN: Custom versions of CPAN
    • As part of the workshop, I want to fix up Module::Release to run `make test` with several different perls, perhaps some of which are remote.
    • I saw Ricardo's XPAN stuff on this wiki, and am working on something similar. I'd like to get together with him to see how we can join forces. :)
  • Airfare sponsored by The Perl Foundation
  • Hotel stay sponsored by LogicLAB

Gabor Szabo <szabgab@gmail.com> (Committed and funded)

  • Could also give 20-40 min talk on What's new in Perl 5.10 given on the Israeli Perl Workshop 2007
  • Could also give 20-40 min talk on TAP - the Test Anything Protocol (but there several people more qualified to do that)

Would like to work on one of the following:

 I would be glad to attend provided there is funding and I know it enough 
 in advance to schedule my work.
 
 I would be glad to give my 3-day long QA Automation using Perl course 
 (see http://www.pti.co.il/qa_automation.html ) and finance my expenses
 from the income of the course. Actually I could even help sponsoring some 
 more people to come to the workshop from the income of this course.
 ( This is an advanced course for people with some Perl background )


Jos I. Boumans <jos@dwim.org> (Committed and sponsored)

  • CPANPLUS and CPANPLUS::Dist::* developer.
  • Can give free software-related talks about:
    • Perl Bad Practices (talk in doing for LPW this year)
    • XXX Perl (Talk I've done a few times, including for the NPW)
    • Something shorter on specifically the CPAN packaging initiative.
  • http://search.cpan.org/~kane/
  • Emailed and chatted on IRC. Committed, Sponsored by Linpro.


David Golden <dagolden@cpan.org> (Committed, partly sponsored)

  • First suggested by Barbie & David Cantrell
  • Writer of Class::InsideOut, CPAN::Reporter, CPAN tester & Perl toolchain hacker
  • Former release engineer for Strawberry Perl
  • Can give free software-related talks about:
    • CPAN Testers and CPAN::Reporter
    • Inside Out Objects
    • Strawberry Perl and Perl on Win32 in general
  • Would be interested in hacking on
  • Availability: 95% if at least partially funded, somewhat lower if not; depends on attendees -- if a lot of the CPAN Testers group is there to hack on CPAN Testers 2.0, then I'm more likely not to pass up the chance to work face to face
  • Emailed. Responded with interest. Partly sponsored by TPF.


Lars Thegler <lars@thegler.dk> (committed, sponsored by employer)

  • First suggested by Anton Berezin
  • FreeBSD Perl packaging guy
  • Sponsored by Telia.dk


Mark Overmeer <mark@overmeer.net> (committed, has sponsor)

  • First suggested by H.Merijn Brand
  • First Class Lasagna Programmer (layered perl OO)
  • Many talks in his sleave:
    • CPAN6, rethinking CPAN
    • XML::Compile and XML::Compile::SOAP, a SOAP::Lite alternative
    • Log::Report, combining Log::Dispatch, Locale::TextDomain and exceptions
    • Geo::* and GoogleEarth modules, browsing 24TB of satellite images with Perl
    • OODoc and Perl6 documentation system discussion
    • XML::LibXML::Simple
    • and more
  • http://search.cpan.org/~markov/ http://perl.overmeer.net
  • Booked flight


Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org> (Committed and sponsored)

 I'd be glad to come.  It is not a problem at all if the funding is available
 and we have a date at least 2-3 weeks in advance;  failing the funding, it
 is still possible that I'll come - let me talk to my employer first.
 
 I think the idea is nice, but it might be difficult to put people on the
 same footing. In the context of QA I am most interested in FreeBSD ports -
 not only of Perl itself, but also of various modules in the ports collection
 - we currently have almost 3000 of those. [...]
 I'd like to, but I did not discuss it with my employer yet;  I'll do that
 next week...  Or shall I say so in the wiki?  ;-)


Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni <saper@cpan.org>

  • Works with legacy support for CPAN modules.
  • Can give free software-related talks about:
    • How to maintain support for legacy Perls in current code (1)
    • How to find bugs thanks to tests (2)
    • Win32::Mock (3)
  • http://search.cpan.org/~saper/
  • Chatted on IRC. Has given positive feedback. No commitment.

(1) This is the talk I did this year at the NPW 2007 and at the YAPC::EU 2007. But it's not really about QA.

(2) This is more on the subject: I could talk about how I fully rewrote the test suite of Net::Pcap when I took its maintenance, and how it helped me find bugs. Same for Sys::Syslog when it was dual-lived and kind-of "handled" to me.

(3) It's a module I recently began working on because it's not easy for a Unix user to have access to a Win32 environment with all the toolchain. The aim is to provide a way to emulate most of Win32 API throught mocked versions of the Perl modules, and allow for easy instrumentation, which might even interest actual Win32 users.

But I'm far from being an expert wrt QA. I really want to attend this workshop, but more to learn than to teach ;)

No dates conflict right now so you can count me in, at least as attendant.


Barbie <barbie@missbarbell.co.uk>

  • First suggested by Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni
  • Works on smoke testing tools for CPAN, and acts as caretaker for the CPAN Testers community.
  • Can give free software-related talks about:
    • How to be a CPAN Tester
    • Common mistakes found by CPAN Testers
    • CPAN::YACSmoke
    • Selenium
  • related links:
  • Emailed. Not attending.
 Due to reasons that I won't share here, I will not be able to attend. 
 
 Thank you to all those who offered funding support.


Philippe 'BooK' Bruhat <philippe.bruhat@booking.com>

  • Works on QA at Booking.com
    • Will come if send by his company
  • Can talk about:
    • How to test Apache handlers without Apache
    • Running smokes with TAP::Parser

Interested in discussing large QA setups, reports, smokes, performance and stress testing, workflows, ways to gently bring developers to write tests, SCM setups to support QA.


Tom 'spot' Callaway <tcallawa@redhat.com>

  • First suggested by Lene Jensen <leneje@redhat.com>
  • Perl packaging guy at RedHat (for Fedora)
  • http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/TomCallaway
  • Probably not. My conference schedule is already pretty insane, and Red Hat will only pay for so many. :(

Andy Lester <andy@petdance.com>

  • First suggested by Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni
  • TAP and Test::WWW::Mechanize developer.
  • Can give free software-related talks about:
    •  ?
  • http://search.cpan.org/~petdance/
  • Emailed. Chatted on IRC. Can't come.
 03:40 <Andy> Just don't see it happening at this time.


Adam Foxson <afoxson@pobox.com>

  • First suggested by Barbie & David Cantrell
  • Writer of Test::Reporter, owner of the CPAN::Testers namespace, CPAN tester & Perl toolchain hacker
  • Can give free software-related talks about:
    •  ?
  • Emailed. Positive reply. Can't come.
 Possibly interested. Speaking with employer as to feasibility and
 sponsorship.
 I regret to report that this is looking infeasible at this time. :-(
 
 However, if something changes you'll be the first to know.
 
 Either way, I appreciate the invitation. Thank you.

Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com>

  • First suggested by Ricardo Signes
  • Perl toolchain and search.cpan.org hacker
  • Can give free software-related talks about:
    •  ?
  • http://search.cpan.org/~gbarr/
  • Emailed. No reply.


Brian 'LTjake' Cassidy <bricas@cpan.org>

  • First suggested by Ricardo Signes
  • Works on a search.cpan.org replacement
  • Can give free software-related talks about:
    •  ?
  • http://cpansearch.perl.org/~bricas/
  • Emailed. No reply.


Florian Ragwitz <rafl@debian.org>

 12:06 <rafl> seen that. i just have no idea if i can make it. thats why i 
              didn't update that wiki page yet. i'm quite interested in 
              attending, though.

chromatic <chromatic@wgz.org>

 It looks somewhat unlikely; I need to be in California, at the main office,
 two days after the hackathon ends.  I'll keep it in mind though.

Ask Bjørn Hansen <ask@develooper.com>

  • First suggested by Adam Kennedy
  • Perl community infrastructure guru
  • Can give free software-related talks about:
  • Emailed. Positive reply. Can't come.
 March might work for me, too, actually (I live in Los Angeles).
 
 For QA tasks that could be done in a few days:  I'm working on a new version of the
 CPAN Testers infrastructure; replacing SMTP with HTTP for reporting and giving the system
 proper APIs and DB storage.
 
 I don't have a QA related talk handy, but I could give my usually popular talk/tutorial
 on scalability if that wouldn't be too off-topic.  :-)  http://develooper.com/talks/
 - http://develooper.com/talks/Real-World-Scalability-MySQL-2007-r12.pdf is the last
 version I used. (I'm doing it as a 3 hour tutorial in April at the next MySQL conference,
 so I'm working on it again for that - I can figure out to cut it down and make a shorter
 version, too).
 Apologies for being unresponsive!   I don't know my travel schedule in April yet
 sadly, so I'm not able to commit.   :-(


Andreas König <andreas.koenig@anima.de>

  • First suggested by Adam Kennedy
  • Perl toolchain hacker, The guy behind the CPAN.pm module.
  • http://search.cpan.org/~andk/
  • Emailed, and chatted on IRC. Can't come.
 22:33 <klapperl> Unfortunately no chance for me to spare a trip
 22:35 <klapperl> time is too scarce


David 'DrHyde' Cantrell <david@cantrell.org.uk>

  • First suggested by Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni
  • CPAN tester
  • Perl toolchain hacker
  • Can give free software-related talks about:
    • Devel::CheckOS
    • Devel::CheckLib
    • CPANdeps
  • http://search.cpan.org/~dcantrell/
  • Emailed. Can't attend due to other commitments.
 12:42 <DrHyde> i definitely can't make it, not even with funding, as it clashes
                with another event


Chris 'BinGOs' Williams <chris@bingosnet.co.uk>

  • First suggested by Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni
  • Active POE developer, Perl toolchain hacker
  • Can give free software-related talks about:
    •  ?
  • http://cpansearch.perl.org/~bingos/
  • Emailed. No reply. Chatted on IRC. Negative reply.
 14:01 <@BinGOs> sjn: my reply is thanks for considering me, but I shall be busy
                 in April.
 14:02 <@BinGOs> and there are very likely far more exciting people than me you
                 could get to come.


Alan Burlison <alan.burlison@sun.com>

  • First suggested by Magne Mæhre <magne.mahre@sun.com>
  • Perl packaging guy at SUN Microsystems
  • Emailed. Negative.
 Sorry, there is no way I will get travel budget approval.  Unless
 you can find alocal Sun person, I think it is very unlikely anyone
 would be able to come.


Marc Espie <espie@openbsd.org>

Sorry, I saw your email, but I'm chronically overbooked.
I'm almost certain I won't have time to attend. Pity. 

I wish you good luck, though.


Robin Norwood

  • First suggested by Lene Jensen <leneje@redhat.com>
  • Perl packaging guy at Redhat (for RHEL and Fedora)
  • Contacted. Not available.


Jonathan Worthington <jnthn@jnthn.net>

  • First suggested by Mark Overmeer
  • Can talk about all sorts, especially Perl 6 related stuff
  • More than happy to help people digging in to contributing to the Perl 6 spec test suite
  • Will spend time working with Mark on CPAN6
  • Happy to join any discussions/hacking where I'm of use; otherwise, I'll happily use the time to hack on Rakudo
  • Room-sharing with Mark, paying my own flights
Personal tools